Celebrities. We are constantly looking up to them as role models who influence the way we should act, think, and look. So what about the way we live? There are several celebrities who have jumped on the vegan bandwagon - and are living proof of the benefits of veganism.
1. Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi: The famous Ellen DeGeneres of The Ellen Show became vegan in 2008, and her wife, Portia de Rossi, followed her lead a few years later. Ellen and Portia even had an entirely vegan wedding.
“I personally chose to go vegan because I educated myself on factory farming and cruelty to animals, and I suddenly realized that what was on my plate were living things, with feelings. And I just couldn’t disconnect myself from it any longer.” -Ellen DeGeneres
2. Ariana Grande: Nickelodeon star Ariana Grande has been vegan for over a year, and loves it! She did it to prevent animal cruelty, but she has also received a number of health benefits.
“I love animals more than I love most people, not kidding. But I am a firm believer in eating a full plant-based, whole food diet that can expand your life length and make you an all-round happier person.” -Ariana Grande
3. Alicia Silverstone: Alicia Silverstone has been a big advocate for a vegan lifestyle for a long time. She even wrote a book about it, called the “Kind Diet,” which advocates for a whole foods, plant based diet to keep you looking and feeling your best long term!
“I can’t think of anything better in the world to be but be vegan.” -Alicia Silverstone
4. Joaquin Phoenix: Joaquin Phoenix is an actor who has been vegan longer than probably any other celebrity - since the age of three. Phoenix began refusing to eat meat when he was three years old, after witnessing fish being killed on a fishing trip. Throughout his life, he has done a lot to contribute to the vegan community, such as doing a lot of work for PETA. He also narrated the documentary “Earthlings,” which is a film that shows undercover footage to expose the cruelty of the meat, dairy, egg, clothing and cosmetic industries.
“Animal rights is a part of my everyday life. When you live by example, you create a certain level of awareness.” -Joaquin Phoenix
5. Al Gore: Al Gore, the former presidential candidate who is a big advocate of environmentalism and solving global warming, recently became a vegan. Gore has said that he feels much healthier while following a plant-based diet. Even before he was vegan, he recognized the detrimental effects that meat and dairy can have on the environment.
“It’s absolutely correct that the growing meat intensity of diets around the world is one of the issues connected to this global crisis — not only because of the CO2 involved, but also because of the water consumed in the process. You could add in the health consequences as well.” -Al Gore
6. Mike Tyson: Mike Tyson is a retired professional boxer who formerly was the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world - and he is also vegan. Tyson became a vegan mainly for health reasons. When he decided to ditch meat and dairy, he was able to lose 140 pounds. Additionally, he was able to alleviate several serious health concerns, such as drug addictions, high blood pressure, and arthritis.
“Becoming a vegan gave me another opportunity to live a healthy life” -Mike Tyson
7. Bill Clinton: Former president Bill Clinton originally became a vegan in order to lose weight for the wedding of his daughter, Chelsea Clinton. However, he received countless other benefits after making the switch - such as a healthier heart after getting bypass surgery. He has stated that after making the switch, he consistently has good blood tests, vital signs, and more energy.
“I just decided that I was the high-risk person, and I didn’t want to fool with this anymore. And I wanted to live to be a grandfather. So I decided to pick the diet that would maximize my chances of long-term survival.” -Bill Clinton
8. Beyonce and Jay-Z: Although Beyonce isn’t 100% vegan, she has been recently become very public about the benefits she has received since switching to a mainly plant-based diet. Her and Jay-Z have also co-founded 22 Days Nutrition, a vegan meal delivery service.
"I felt like my skin was really firm, a lot tighter than when I deprived myself of food and got the weight off fast. [With a plant-based diet] the weight stayed off." -Beyonce